Stay safe, stay active
Keeping kids safe and active
Frequently Asked Questions - Kids
> DL Kids
Safety and cleaning
Are the changing rooms open?
Our changing rooms, including family changing, are available with measures in place to allow for enhanced cleaning procedures and social distancing. This includes:
- Some lockers have been taken out of use to create space between them.
- We’re displaying clear signage to indicate which facilities are and aren't available for use.
- We’re using stickers and floor markings to help members maintain the right distance from each other.
- To keep our youngest members safe, we’ve removed baby or toddler play pens from our changing rooms.
- Cleaning products are available for use in all changing rooms and have been positioned suitably above ground level to ensure children can't pick them up.
How are you keeping children apart?
When taking part in a DL Kids class, each child is shown to their own 3m x 3m square, which is clearly marked out on the floor. They’ll be given their own set of sanitised equipment and will be asked to stay within their square for the duration of the class – our DL Kids coaches will be on hand throughout to help.
We’ve also reduced class sizes to 8 children to help everyone keep a safe distance from each other.
How is equipment being kept clean?
Before each class, all the equipment needed is cleaned and placed in a box within a 3m by 3m square. Each box of equipment will only be used by one child during the class.
We are allowing at least 15 minutes between each class so that our team can thoroughly clean the equipment ahead of the next session.
What kids’ classes are you running?
Kids aged 5-11 can take part in our exciting Action Squad, Sports Squad and Scooter Squad sessions - all of which have been adapted so they can be done safely and with adequate social distancing.
Where are classes taking place?
Where possible we’re running our DL Kids classes in the usual DL Kids studios. We’re also using our sports halls, badminton and tennis courts, studios and outdoor areas to make sure that each child has enough space. Members can find details of each class location when booking through the mobile app.
What should my child bring to class?
We’ll provide all the equipment needed for each class, which will be sanitised at the start and end. Each child just needs to bring a water bottle and the appropriate clothing including sunscreen and waterproofs if necessary.
We’ll have labels and sanitised pens ready so that parents can add their child’s name to their water bottles.
Do I have to pre-book kids classes?
To keep everybody safe and help us manage capacity all members must pre-book their child’s space for every class via our mobile app. Find out more and download the app here
Why is there a reduced timetable?
The classes selected allow us to make sure children can easily remain in a designated space, and stay a safe distance from each other, as well as the coach.
We’ve updated the class descriptions in our mobile app to make sure members know what to expect when booking classes for their children.
Why are there no classes for children under 5?
Due to government guidelines, we’re currently unable to offer classes to children under the age of 5 or reopen our créche facilities.
Will adult classes still be scheduled at the same time as kids?
Yes, our hour-long DL Kids classes are running alongside our group exercise sessions so you can enjoy a workout of your own while the little ones let off some steam.
Are swimming lessons running?
Stages 3 and above of our All Stars programme are available, with limitations on class sizes and other minor changes in place.
Coaches are unable to have any direct physical contact with children during the lesson and are only able to teach from the poolside.
We’re not able to allow parents to watch from the poolside – children should be dropped off and collected at the appointed time and place.
We’ve introduced a 15-minute period between lessons to allow for cleaning of all touchpoints ahead of the following lesson.
Are you offering children’s tennis lessons?
Yes, children's tennis lessons are available at clubs with tennis facilities. See our tennis FAQs for more information.
Soft play and playgrounds
Are the indoor soft play and the outdoor play areas open?
Our outdoor play areas and play frames are open.
We are currently unable to open our indoor soft play areas, in line with current government regulations.
Will you be running Holiday Club?
Yes, we are running our popular Holiday Club programme. Each session will be 4 hours long and include a mix of sports and activities, wellness for kids and tennis lessons. We’ll also provide a fresh fruit smoothie, a piece of fruit and a cookie.
Our DL Kids instructors will be on hand to make sure that children don’t share equipment and are staying within their designated 3m x 3m sports square.
Holiday Club must be booked through our mobile app.
Holiday Club - Guidance for parents
Our DL Kids Holiday Club will be operating this summer however we have taken special measure to ensure everyone remains as safe as possible.
- We have reduced our holiday camp capacities at each club.
- We will be following a ratio of 1:8 however ratios will change in-line with any government guideline changes.
- Children will be placed into bubbles which will include a maximum of 8 children in each bubble.
- We ask that all children are signed into their bubble on arrival, this means if you have two children in different bubbles you will need to sign each child into the correct bubble. Our team will let you know which bubble your child is in on arrival.
- Children will remain socially distanced throughout the 4hr period by playing in Sports Squares – 3x3m squares allowing children to play safe.
- During the tennis sessions we will be following the LTA Guidance for socially distancing during tennis.
- Each child will have a box of equipment that only they will use throughout the session, all items will be sanitised before and after use.
- Children will be asked to wash/sanitise their hands after each activity session.
- We kindly ask that you do not attend holiday club if you/your children have and/or are displaying symptoms of COVID 19. No one should attend if they have come into contact with anyone who has tested positive for or shown symptoms of COVID-19 in the 14 days prior to attending.
- We recommend that families do not use public transport to travel to holiday club, we recommend walking, cycling, or using a private car.
- We kindly ask parents not to gather at the sign in stations and always remain socially distanced.
- Bookings can be made via the David Lloyd app or at the club reception. Bookings must be made in advance; we will not be able to accept children on the day who have not been booked in.
- An up to date Children’s information document must be completed prior to children attending.
- Children will be provided with a snack, this will consist of a fruit smoothie, a cookie, and a piece of fruit.
- Children will not be able to bring snacks with them, extra snacks can be purchased from the club room prior to sign in.
- Children’s snack breaks will be social distanced, and children will remain in their bubble with their allocated member of staff. Hand washing will take place before and after snack breaks.
Prior to attending holiday club, we kindly ask you to:
- Dress children in appropriate clothing and bring waterproof jackets with you. We will be playing outside unless the weather means it is un-safe for us to do so. Sun hats are also recommended.
- Bring a water bottle clearly labelled with the child’s name on.
- If required, please apply sunscreen to your child (ren) we will not be able to apply sun cream during holiday club, this will be the responsibility of the parent.
Still can't find what you're looking for?
If you're an existing member with a query, contact us here >
Interested in joining David Lloyd Clubs? Enquire now >
Stay safe, stay active
- We are closely following government guidelines and working with UKActive, and we will amend our procedures in line with any changes to regulations.
- Please do not come to the club if you feel unwell and let us know if you or anyone in your household develop Covid-19 symptoms.
- Help keep yourself safe by wiping down equipment before and after use and washing your hands frequently.
- Do not remove cleaning materials/hand sanitiser from the Club.
- Please bring your own towel, yoga mat and water bottle.
- Please keep social distancing in mind at all times, and leave plenty of space between yourself and other members.
- Download the David Lloyd mobile app - you'll need to use it to book all classes, courts and kids classes.
- Please be patient, polite and observe all notices, but of course if you have feedback for us please directly contact us.